Preparing For Coaching And Creating Inner Space
As a coach, preparing for coaching is essential to ensure that when you
enter your session you are tuned in to your client and can focus
entirely upon them without being distracted.
Preparation doesn’t mean that you are going to plan exactly what you say and where you will take the coaching session, after all the questions you ask will be a response to what the coachee raises in the session. However there is some physical and some mental preparation you might find helpful.
‘Creating inner space’ is a term used to describe the process of clearing your mind of thoughts, emotions, experiences and opinions so there is space in your mind to receive and process new information.
By creating inner space you will focus more fully on your client in the session, listen more effectively and help them work to their agenda rather than your own.
Preparing For Coaching Tips
- Off-load everything on your mind onto a piece of paper,
including outstanding task for the day, prior to your session. You can
relax in the knowledge you have a reminder of what needs to be done
rather than trying to keep it in mind while coaching.
- Remove any potential distractions for example switch off your
computer, tidy the room around you or remove yourself to a space which
holds no distractions for you.
- Some people find meditation helps clear the mind if time permits.
Use the bathroom (and make sure you don’t drink excessive fluids before the session!)
- Gather and re-read notes from previous sessions – this is a great way to help you tune back into your client.
- Make a note of any actions which your client will be expecting to review from the previous session.
- Have to hand any coaching tools you may use in the session.
- Have plenty of paper and spare pens to hand for note taking.
- Have your diary to hand to book/confirm the next session.
Recommended Further Reading:
Co-active Coaching: New Skills for Coaching People Toward Success in Work and Life by Laura Whitworth, Henry Kimsey-House, Karen Kimsey-House, and Phil Sandahl (Paperback - 15 Feb 2007)
The Coaching Manual: The Definitive Guide to the Process, Principles and Skills of Personal Coaching by Julie Starr (Paperback - 8 Nov 2007)
Active Listening Skills
Effective Questioning Techniques
More Coaching Skills
Return to Home Page from Preparing For Coaching And Creating Inner Space